May 25, 2008

I am a hardcore news journalist who loves to report in 90 seconds – a documentary and the likes of news have never been my forte. But a day spent at the Reuter's headquarters in Canary Wharf, London sometime in August, last year – changed my perception on documentary making. My friend Pawan Bali loves documentaries and will eventually venture into it sometime in the future. Her stern interest in this subject always befuddled me but I was in for a revelation. A screening of a 72 minute documentary on Reuters's cameramen and photographers in the war torn Gaza strip made me sit upright and understand the nuances of what a good documentary is and what it can do, unlike those shown in the name of documentaries on the Indian news channels.

Would like to share some part of this very interesting and must watch documentary. From its story to its camera work and for its climax – Every single nuance is so beautiful; dipped in the essence of pain.

3 comments:

Love yourself !!! said...

I am a hardcore freelancer,who loves to get into anything and everything even if its a subject I am totally ignorant about.Co-incidentally I had a loooooooooooong chat and discussion with a guy named Rohin about Documentary making.This guy is learning filmmaking - Direction and Editing here at Hollywood.Seeing my passion for something I don't know the basics about,he encouraged me to go ahead and bring to light certain hidden aspects of this world,which I feel so strongly about. I personally feel,documentaries,today are no more the black and white ones with narration lacking emotions(when we were li'l kids n watched such documentaries sitting in a theatre before the start of the movie).This genre I feel is the strongest and the fastest,most focused way of sharing your view with the world.

Words said...

I love documentries and few documentry makesr in India are really good... i have also seen a huge number of student made documentries... they have amazing conceps and the way they treat the issues is an eye-opener... Indian television doesnt promote these in main stream media, they are shopwn at niche screenings which very few have the time to attaend and so the classy documentry makers remain in the dark...

Footloose! said...

good u managed this clip. better still, u managed two copies of this documentary.
keep writing